Re: [Libevent-users] ANN: Libevent 2.0.8-rc is released

On Oct 14, 2010, at 9:26 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Nick
>>
>> FWIW: the latest autoconf release (2.68) includes a number of changes to autoconf that causes libevent's configure logic to spew a flood of warnings. Jeff Squyres and I (with input from the autoconf team) have made the required changes to stop the warnings, but they are fairly extensive.
>>
>> Just so you know, you aren't alone - every configure script we work with has the same problem :-(
>>
>> Don't know if you want this for 2.0.x or not - we will be sending it upstream for your consideration sometime next week.
>>

> Sebastian Hahn has a patch too: branch "configure" in
> git://git.torproject.org/sebastian/libevent.  I haven't had a chance
> to check it out yet.  If you can verify that it works for you, that
> would be keen.

I haven't tried it, but we'll probably stick with ours as it includes improved tests (e.g., for epoll support), new options (allows you to disable support for any of the separate subsystems e.g., http) that let you minimize the footprint to match the needs of the specific software system, and visibility changes that resolve a bunch of problems when used as an embedded package.

> For 2.0, I'm inclined to leave it alone so long as the warnings are
> harmless, unless this causes real trouble for somebody.

It works fine, just a whole lot of warnings. They deprecated a number of AC macros that were commonly used, and turned on a "picky" syntax checker (you cannot turn it off).