Re: [Libevent-users] Question about internal event mechanism

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:22:15PM +1000, Jim Tink wrote:
> Could someone provide a small overview on how libevent supports these? IE Is
> it based on the operating system or context of when an event is created or
> something like that? Is it something that I would control as a developer
> etc?

The support is created at the time of compile. If the system supports
both epoll and select, those are available to your application.

Abstractions have been created around all the supported backends so that
they are all interchangeable; this is done via a vtable like structure
"struct eventop" found in event-internal.h

Look at one of the backend specific files (epoll.c, select.c) to see
how they are used - that's definitely the best way to understand it.

The only "control" you have over things is what backend event mechanism
to use, which is documented. Otherwise you have to create your own
eventop vtable.