[linuxgames] 3D on Laptop

I've been thinking of getting a new laptop. One thing I'd like to be able to do is run Neverwinter Nights with open source drivers. I understand that open source graphics drivers aren't great for hardware acceleration. I just figured a 5 year old game could probably be run with it combined with a faster cpu (or two). Of the linux laptop vendors I asked, they said you would need the binary drivers. Is linux graphics capability that bad that we still can't run an old game using open source? I suppose I'll have to wait for nouveau to make more progress.

Dennis Payne
dulsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx