Re: [linuxgames] 3D on Laptop

dulsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've been thinking of getting a new laptop. One thing I'd like to be able to do is run Neverwinter Nights with open source drivers. I understand that open source graphics drivers aren't great for hardware acceleration. I just figured a 5 year old game could probably be run with it combined with a faster cpu (or two). Of the linux laptop vendors I asked, they said you would need the binary drivers. Is linux graphics capability that bad that we still can't run an old game using open source? I suppose I'll have to wait for nouveau to make more progress.

I really, deeply, hate to say this but the OpenSource drivers are *all* terrible - quite utterly useless for 3D on anything made in the last
8 years - complete crap - don't even consider them for realtime use.

* Intel graphics chips suck - and so do the Linux drivers.
* ATI graphic chips are good - and the closed source drivers from ATI
are OK-ish I guess...not great.
* nVidia graphics chips are good - and the closed source drivers from
nVidia are excellent - better than their Windows drivers in fact.

I've been an agressive user of Linux for 3D graphics both at work and
at play since the first rev of Mesa...you can trust me when I say:
Bottom line - get something with nVidia graphics - suck it up and
use the closed source drivers - you'll love it enough to bury your
conscience!

   Steve.