Thoughts on Linux...

Hey all!  I'm new to the list... be gentle :>

I was just reading the game design discussion on Slashdot featured on the LGDC site and I was amazed at the variety of forms the discussion took, particularly about the Linux distributions.  I agree that Linux has to become easier to use with more support for the latest-and-greatest hardware before a "Linux gaming industry" will ever take off.  What do you think?  Should we streamline Linux installation, perhaps booting X from the very start to lose the DOS-look, and abstract the "cryptic" filesystem from the user?

Of course, considering that Linux is still young, maybe all it will take is time.  Linux might eventually become easier to setup and use as it develops further...

The sad part is, I will probably end up developing games on my _Linux_ machine for _Windows_ users, if I want to make any money.  Then again, if we make Linux games just farking impressive enough, we might turn heads... :>

Just some random thoughts on a random Saturday afternoon...

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com