Re: tutorial request

Pierre Phaneuf <pp@ludusdesign.com> writes:

> I'd like to see a few more tutorials about X11 programming, particularly
> the more advanced things. A short list of what I would like to see:

>  - how to use the MIT-SHM extension in details: [...]

Ok, tutorials are really nice, but X11 IMHO isn't the right primary
target for games. Playing games in a window really sucks, also it can
be very usefull for debugging. But games should normaly be able to run
in fullscreen, of course that is possible with DGA. But X11 is just to
complicated to be used directly, I have seen a lot of games which only
run in 8bit, run only in a window or doing other nasty things. This
all could be avoided with using some more generic libary like GGI or
some of the game libs like ClanLib or SDL. They give all this stuff
without forcing the programmer to know all this stuff about X11, you
can just programm the game. All this libs give you fullscreen and
window modes, some even can run without X using framebuffer or
svgalib. So programming directly with X, svgalib or framebuffer should
be done by the library programmer not by the game programmer
themselfs, becourse it would be a wast of time and would cause a lot
of nasty errors and complications, which are not necessary.

So I think some tutorials about GGI, ClanLib or SDL would be much more
needed or much more usefull.

BTW. A unfinished ClanLib Tut can be found at:
http://tymora.hexon.cx/~arjanl/clanlib/tutorial.html

Just my 2 cents,

  Ingo
--