Re: Why code your own library?

On 24-Aug-99 Pedro Medeiros wrote:
>>I wonder if you could write a netscape plugin that would run the
> autoget
>>script automatically when you clicked on it?  Then, getting a game
>>would be *JUST* a matter of clicking on a link to the autoget
>>script.  One mouse click game installation!
>
> Ok. This will sound completly lame and windows solution,
> but what about a program that changes a tarball into a
> self extracting executable? If this becomes a standard,
> new game makers could use it instead of figuring out
> how to do their own installation process and concentrate
> in making the game. Now hold your flames. I'm not saying
> that people should start using it instead of grabbing a deb,
> slp, rpm, tgz package. I meant to use it as some kind of
> non-related-statically-linked-package or a closed source
> project. In short, something very specific that does not go
> with normal packages. That would surely solve the dumb
> users problem. Now, for normal Linux users, maybe this
> program could transform itself into a simple tarball. You
> can flame me now. :P
>
> Pedro Medeiros.

like sharutils? if I recall, shar will gzip or ncompress all the files to be
put in the distribution, uuencode them, and generate one large ksh script (that
also works on bsh and bash and probly zsh), stores the md5sums to verify
itself, and still be plenty hackable for special install stuff, maybe
dependancy checking. It can also create multiple archives of one 'package'.
Unfortunantly, since they're uuencoded, they're a bit bigger than a binary
archive like an rpm.

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://shells.clipboard.com/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.