Re: Game Logic

Steve Baker wrote:

>> I don't know about Python's performance...
>
>Some simple tests I tried seemed to suggest 50 times slower than C++...
>I've heard Python guru's claim only five times slower - but they were
>not claiming that for a line-by-line translated program - instead they
>claim that because it's (supposedly) a higher level language than C++,
>you write fewer statements - so the fact that those statements run
>slower matters less.
>
>I don't think I buy that story.

If you translate line-by-line then Python is of course quite a bit
slower. Line-by-line translating is useless for comparison, because each
language has it's own way of doing things, its own set of functions in
the standard library etc.
I think the factor 5 *can* be realistic if Python is used for something
it's good at (string processing etc). For the stuff you'd use it in games
for (mainly if(condition) then {builtinaction} I suppose) I don't know
how it'd behave - you also have to see that script compilation/parsing
time is neglible, because that only has to be done once per game
session...

--
Christian Reiniger
Coordinator, LGDC (http://sunsite.auc.dk/lgdc/)

Pretty cool, the kind of power information technology puts in our hands
these days.

- Securityfocus on probing 36000000 hosts for known problems in 3 weeks