Re: TuxRacer goes closed source

On Friday 03 August 2001 08:59, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> My comment: Argh! Couldn't they have said so 6 monts ago, so we could have
> forked the codebase. As it is now, progress on TuxRacer - the Open Version
> - has completly stalled.

Indeed.

> When that is said; I have nothing against closed source games.

Maybe this is what Sunspire counts on: The number of users who know about
"Linux replaced Windows" instead of "Free Software replaces proprietary
software". And this number increases steadily, partially because of the Linux
hype.

> This is
> just a weird situation, and a bit frustrating. The good thing is that at
> least we now know where we stand, and can start maintaining TuxRacer (if
> we so wish). Hopefully it will get rolling again.

Yep, OpenRacer is open for maintainers. However, it was stated that the
project doesn't aim at competing against the closed source version - although
that would be (at least in the long run) a more interesting path. But it'll
be the maintainer who decides that.

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net