Re: OK,s.o far so good. GL & threads?

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Keith Lucas wrote:

>Is Mesa/OpenGL in general thread-safe?
>
>I mean I can put all the rendering code into one thread, and not touch GL
>outside that, but is it actually safe to do this?
>
>I can't actually see why not, but I've not seen anything that specifically says
>it is either.

Never tried, but I think it should work. But I think that only one thread
is allowed to have any kind of activity with graphics (OpenGL, X11), the
others are restricted to doing other non-gfx stuff. It's the same thing
with Qt; you can use classes, but only one thread may do anything GUI:ish.

If you try it, please let us know wether it works or not. As an alternativ
you could try searching on Deja with keywords such as "+Mesa +thread
+Linux", could reveal something useful.

 Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm |    CS at Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
    Linux Inside     | I'm the blue screen of death, no-one hears you scream