Re: OK,s.o far so good. GL & threads?

Keith Lucas wrote:

> Is Mesa/OpenGL in general thread-safe?
>
> I mean I can put all the rendering code into one thread, and not touch GL
> outside that, but is it actually safe to do this?

Yes - that's safe - but in general, making OpenGL calls from
more than one thread at any given time, to the same 'rendering
context' would be very dangerous.  I'd hope that Mesa would
allow two threads to write to *separate* rendering contexts
simultaneously without problems - but I have no proof that
this is in fact the case.

> I can't actually see why not, but I've not seen anything that specifically says
> it is either.

Hmmm - I thought it said that somewhere in the Mesa web site.

--
Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)