License terms for open source game APIs (Was: Re: Is Linuxgames still alive?)

Michael Maher schrieb:
> If you want to allow other companies to use your source and not have to
> publish source, you may want to go with a BSD license or LGPL. The LGPL or
> BSD license, IMHO is more free than GPL....

Yes, they are definitely more free than GPL.
However - Activision hopes to be able to get back some return
on its investment (they did pay me for several years, and I'm
not cheap), so they want to retain the right to offer a
commercial version of the library; this would cost money,
but would let other companies use our code without
publishing their sources.  People who don't mind publishing
their sources would be able to use our code for free.

At the moment, the QPL looks like the only example of this
sort that I can understand.  And the folks at opensource.org
have given their blessing to the QPL, so I suspect it'll be
ok for most open source developers.
What do you folks think?  You can read the QPL at
   http://www.troll.no/qpl/
- Dan

--
Speaking only for myself, not for my employer