Re: COM (or similar) in games

Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

> Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
>
> > > Could the COM library be ripped out of Crystal Space for other projects?
> >
> > That would be possible. You will probably want to extend it because we only
> > implemented EXACTLY what we need for Crystal Space.
> >
> > It is also under the LGPL license.
>
> I ask that, because I was very interested in Mozilla's XPCOM, but it
> dependent on the NSPR (Netscape Portable Runtime), which I deemed too
> heavy to bring in a game... I was underway to make my own "XPCOM-Lite"
> for my gaming endeavors, but that might help me out... :-)

You might also want to take a look at what one of my CS members is doing. He
has taken the Crystal Space COM code and is now busy converting it to a more
general and full-featured COM library for Linux.

In time when his COM library finishes it is possible that CS will use his code
instead.

Here is an excerpt of what another one of my CS developers tells me about this:

> Note: Stephen Quattlebaum (quatt001@bama.ua.edu) is working on an extended
> version of my COM library that, for one thing, will support COM operations
> across processes and threads under Linux. This will greatly expand the
> functionality of the scripting support. It will probably not be completed
> for a long time. I don't know if he's looking for help or not, but if you
> have some COM experience and are willing to help out, you might want to talk
> to him.

So contact Stephen if you want to know more about this.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"Have another drink, not-Corporal Nobby?" said Sergeant Colon unsteadily.
"I do not mind if I do, not-Sgt Colon," said Nobby.
        -- The joys of working undercover
           (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)