Re: Tools

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:
>
> > Well, at present the digital joystick market is dominated by
> > Microsoft - and the joystick-with-force-feedback market even more
> > so.  That makes it hard for Linux driver writers to EVER get those
> > peripherals working.
>
> Just a snip from: http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/joystick/
>
> ----------- snip ------------------
> Currently supported devices are (in hopefully alphabetical order):
>
>   [...]
>   Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro
>   Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro
>   Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel
>   Microsoft SideWinder FreeStyle Pro
>   Microsoft SideWinder GamePad
>   Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro
>   Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro USB
>   [...]
> ----------- snip ------------------
>
> I own a MS SideWinder 3D Pro myself and it works without any problems
> under Linux and is fully supported. But don't know about ForceFeedback
> of the other sticks.

The SideWinder sticks can operate in *either* analog or digital
modes (needed because Windoze NT doesn't support digital sticks),
and I think that under Linux, these sticks are simply working as
analog devices.

I have no idea how you'd prove that though.

Anyway, the force-feedback aspects of them certainly don't work
(unless that's been added VERY recently).

I'm suprised that the USB version of the Precision Pro is supported,
I didn't think we had USB support in the Kernel yet.  Perhaps that
too has an auxiliary analog connector for WinNT and older games
that don't use the right Windoze incantations.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker