Re: Is this list still alive?

On Friday 12 January 2001 14:48, The Corruptor wrote:

(I actually have to quote most of it)

> artists from joining projects. For one OS project support is  geared
> towards programmers. I can only think of a few places or tools that
> aren't: LGDC-Artists list, Linux GFX and a few others (not pretending
> to provide a full list here). This annoys me greatly.
>
> Does Advogato supply anything for Artists? Not really, you can list
> your projects and set yourself down as a 'developer' (which, although
> semantically correct isn't that attractive to the 'Artist'! ;-). I'd
> much rather have myself listed as a 'Lead Artist' for project Civil.
>
> Take Sourceforge. It offers a great deal of useful, free functionality
> for /programmers/, but there's very little point me using bug-lists for
> stray pixels. It's very hard for an artist to stand out from the
> programmers in the OS scene when the majority of people setup, support
> and provide tools for programmers.

[...]

> Artists are egotistical. They want to be recognised as artists. Some of
> us can even program! However, most of us use Mac, Windows, Unix and
> even the Amiga (speaking personally) to produce the best work we can,
> for free, just like you. It would help encourage other artists to get
> involved,  if those of us active didn't feel like the dirty men of OS
> development.

Hmmm. Can you be a bit more specific?
You want that Advogato adds "artist" categories and/or that a similar
site (but focused on artists) comes up?

And you mentioned Sourceforge.
How would a SF-for-artists have to look/be like?
Or rather: What functionality would have to be added to SF to help
artists?

Hmm, I find it difficult to formulate exact questions here - I mean, I
know quite well what coders need/want in terms of infrastructure etc, but
for artists my understanding is quite limited.

Hmm, a thought that just came to my mind: What about some "game art of
the week" site reviewing levels, models, ... ?

> One thing that would be nice is if something like Blitz Basic came out
> for Linux (Is there one already?) It's been ported from the Amiga to

Hmm, what's Blitz Basic? What are its strengths and why would you use it
over, say, Python?

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

void sleep(){for(long int sheep=0;!asleep();sheep++);}