Re: Is this list still alive?

Quoting Jan Ekholm <chakie@infa.abo.fi>:

> Isn't there such a category then? Why not
suggest to the folks at
> Advogato
> that they add one. There are categories for
developers and documenters,
> but not artists.

I did when I joined, but I didn't get any
response to the idea. I'll post the suggestion
again when I remember!

> xpaint usually looks like cr*p. A game where
> the homepage and overall
> graphics have been done by a talented artist
> have a *much* higher
> chance
> of surviving the first 10 minutes an average
> player will give a new
> game.

This is true. We do get the 'first impression'
glory, but from there things go downhill
slightly... Of course, some projects are
different... ;-)

> All participants in a game project should get
> credits for their work, but I admit that
> it seems like the coders are "ranked higher"
> for some reason.

Based on a lot of the 'Artist Sux' comments that
appear on this list from time-to-time, I'd be
inclined to say that programmers think they're a
little smarter. But, that's /not/ my opinion,
just a reaction!

This whole area is something that is changing.
Linux is now competing in a more graphical
environment so artists are a necessary evil. It's
just a shame we're percieved the way we are in
more technical forums...