RFOR: Is LGDC really crap?

[RFOR: Request For Other Ramblings]

Looking at the (still current) poll makes me think a bit...
35 out of 167 votes are on the "LGDC is crap" option, and while I'm sure
that shouldn't be taken too serious (such an option is just too tempting
:), this number is nevertheless a bit disturbing.

So - is it really that bad? What is missing, what needs to be improved,
what would be nice to have?

Here are my current thoughts on that matter. Perhaps these can serve as
starting point for a little discussion:

What's bad
------------

* The site content is almost static currently - no new news items, no new
articles, no new/updated links. I know that's my duty but, well, I simply
won't ever do this as much as I should. By a far shot. These tasks simply
aren't something I enjoy, and since I work on lgdc in my spare time I'll
concentrate on the "fun" stuff. And of course there's the thing that I
never ever developed a game :)

* The poll clearly lists the mailing list as the least valuable part of
lgdc (14 votes, with the others at 35, 38, 39 and 41), and the mailing
list traffic also indicates that. There's a group of 10-15 people who
know each other (partly got to know each other via lgdc, granted) and
post to the list from time to time, but that's about it. So lgdc's
original goal of building a (and serving as common "communication
platform" for) a Linux game development community has not been reached.
Not even remotely.
I don't think I can do much about that. As I said before I'm no game
developer...

What could be done (from my side)
---------------------------------------

Note: basically all points listed here concentrate on the *platform*, the
code driving the lgdc site, the tool I provide for you. That's what I can
do, that's what I enjoy doing.

* I have some plans to allow everyone (well, everyone with a valid site
account) to post, edit and delete news and resources. Of course all
changes only take effect after someone trusted has reviewed them, but it
allows everyone spotting an error, a missing thing etc to simply "fix it
on the spot" (using the nice web forms that are currently reserved for
maintainers) and it simplifies the maintainer(s'|'s) job of handling such
changes.

* I think it would be useful to have (optional) "verbose" descriptions
for news items and resources - just have a look at these CrystalSpace
announcements :)
This is a low-priority thing on my list for several reasons though:
  - Verbose descriptions mean even more text to be maintained (especially
for resources). So until there's someone (or somemoreones) really
spending time on writing that stuff and keeping it up-to-date it simply
doesn't make sense
  - It's not a trivial addition but requires some changes in the code
that very much overlap with some cleanup I've planned for sometime later

What I would like others to do (and other stuff)
(non-noise) traffic worth mentioning, if our (admittedly way
underadvertized) irc channel (#lgdc on irc.openprojects.net) wouldn't
have to be held open by bots etc. But I don't see that happening and I
don't think I can do anything about that.

Side note: The poll lists the resources section *after* articles. IMHO
resources are *more* important than local articles, simply because it's
much easier to link to many good articles than to write many good
articles anew (and the ones we have are a bit dated..). Perhaps the
situation would be a bit different if there were a big community with
several good writer-gamedevelopers around lgdc - and even then it's much
easier (and better) to link to e.g. Steve Baker's ramblings
(http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/index.html) than to convince him to
write them on lgdc ;)

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://lgdc.sunsite.dk/)

"These are the people who proudly call themselves "hackers" --
not as the term is now abused by journalists to mean a computer
criminal, but in its true and original sense of an enthusiast,
an artist, a tinkerer, a problem solver, an expert."

- ESR