Re: Game console devel under Linux

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:45:11PM +0000, Adam D. Moss wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is anyone here using Linux as their preferred development
> platform for (in decreasing order of interest) PS2, Gamecube,
> XBox, PSX or Dreamcast?

I am in the early days of looking into PS2 development under Linux myself.
There are two sourceforge projects devoted to this subject.

PS2 Dev		- http://ps2dev.sourceforge.net/
PS2 Hacking	- http://ps2hacking.sourceforge.net/

Both have mailing lists which currently have fairly lively discusions
on various issues.

> Does anyone have experience of development for these platforms
> (on Linux or not) and wish to share some tips on unexpected
> (ie. not speed-related) considerations/limitations/strengths
> of these platforms in relation to a Linux PC with a low-frills
> 3D card?
>
> I'll tell you why I ask -- I'm currently in the early stages
> of technical and production design on a pitch for backing for
> a commercial title and I wish to stick with Linux/GCC as my
> preferred development environment.  (Currently also OpenGL for
> transformation and rendering and SDL for input and display
> initialisation, but those parts are fairly well-isolated in the
> code.)
>
> So, how are the console SDKs to work with in general and how well
> is console development supported under Linux (either via official
> SDKs or 'guerilla' to-the-metal docs)?  What are the legal
> implications of /not/ using the official SDKs?

My interest is in trying to develop for the PS2 without using the official
SDKs, though whether this can be achieved legally remains to be seen.
As far as I am aware, the community does not currently have sufficient
knowledge to drive the 3D hardware without the SDK.

Al Riddoch