Re: a question about using CVS

Christian Reiniger wrote:

> my CVS help says option -R  is for recursive diffing. There´s also a
> comment "consult the documentation for your diff program for
> rcsdiff-options. The most popular is -c for context diffs but there are
> many more". I´ve however already seen cvs servers not support the -u
> switch, so you might ave to try around a bit.

The -R option is actually the default, but it doesn't do a real
recursive diff, all this option does is let cvs itself recurse the
subdirectories and do a diff in each of them. The file names in the
resulting patch has the path stripped from them, so you can't apply this
patch directly using "patch".

I might write a perl mangler to fix this, if it annoys me too much.

About CVS servers not supporting the -u switch, this is for older 'cvs'
that didn't have diff and friends built-in and used the system ones.
Only GNU diff has -u, so CVS servers on commercial Unixes only have -c.
Poor them. :-)

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/