Re: K3D some early impressions.

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Mark Collins wrote:

>> > Wow!  The whole thing built in about 5 minutes for me...I had a minor
>> > linker issue...but nothing like that.  What were you compiling on?
>> > Babbages difference engine?
>>
>> I compiled on a laptop running mandrak 8 (gcc 0.96, yes, it stinks) with
>> 160 MBram and a celeron 366 - it took between 1 and 2 hours.
>
>P-II 466 with 96MB
>
>If a 2MB download takes that long to compile, I'm not going to bother.
>Something is very fucked up.

I've seen g++ (or gcc, don't remember) just get stuck compiling a file. No
error, no output, it just compiles forever until memory gets exhausted. I
don't know what triggers it, but I've seen it a few times. It helps to
change optimization flags and compile that single file and then restarting
the "toplevel make" again.

Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm |     Balrog New Media    http://www.balrog.fi/
   Linux Inside     | I'm the blue screen of death, nobody hears your screams