Re: Game announcements on LGDC

Bert Peers wrote:

> > Do you have flame-proof clothing handy? I would venture that claiming
> > the superiority of VC++ in a Linux development group could at least
> > raise a few eyebrows! (myself, I do not use VC++, but find its interface
> > quite nice, even though the compiler is painfully slow)
>
> :)
> I know, I know.  I used to be a 100% hardcore M$ basher, they so
> far haven't produced anything that doesn't drive you insane when you
> try to use it for more than 10 minutes.  (That @#&! MSWord is the
> best example of this, trying to outsmart the typist all the time -- even
> when their programs don't crash they ill-behave)
> Then came along VC++...  Once you're used to the nice IDE and the
> debugger, going back to vi and a bare bones debugger is kindof
> rough...  Damn, this MS thing actually rules.  They must have bought
> it somewhere, but still.

I'm an XEmacs guy, so I got a solid answer to VC++! egcs+GNU
Make+XEmacs+DDD+gdb is a pretty good combination! (and at least, remote
debugging WORKS!)

VC++ is nice, I admit, but the compiler... Awful. For C++ anyway.
Earlier this year, when I was still using a 486DX4/100 with 80 megs of
RAM, compiling Quadra took *HALF* of the time it took to compile Quadra
with VC++ on a Pentium 200 with 96 megs of RAM!

Now that I have an overclocked Pentium MMX (225, with a 75 MHz bus
speed) with 96 megs of RAM... ;-)

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/