Re: Threads

> 	 If the threads are large enough, shouldn't the kernel be smart enough
> to know that they should be run on seperate processors? Or does the kernel
> only hand over work to the 2nd cpu when the 1st one is too busy? And what
> advantage is there to process affinity? (Would telling a thread to run on
> processor number 3 screw things up on a 2 processor system? Or will the kernel
> correct your mistake?)

I don't really know, I am not familiar with the linux scheduler. However
as far as I know there is no direct way to tell a process to execute on a
particular processor. The disadvantage of processes hopping from cpu to
cpu is that the cache does not hop with them. However perhaps linux is
already smart about this, I'm not sure.

Michael