Re: Game idea....

Jeff Read wrote:
> > I've actually thought the alternate mascot (the fox, don't have a url
> > handy) would make a better player. I couldn't quite figure out how it
> > would be possible to animate tux into a fighting game. Hmm, then again,
> > the closest playing style that would fit would be E. Honda.
> Hey, Capcom somehow managed to get a one-eyed octopus-type thing to fit
> the fighting game format (Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom). When
> you're dealing with cartoon characters instead of digitized fighters
> like Mortal Kombat, you have a lot of leeway. Another example of this is
> the Tekken series, which features lots of bizarre fighters including a
> bear, a kangaroo, a velociraptor and Gon (a cute li'l dinosaur from a
> Japanese manga).

Yeah, but when you've got a preconcieved(sp?) perception of a character
there's only so much you can do with it until you've changed it into
something else, at which point people won't percieve it as what you're
trying to portray. Although, granted, I'm not a graphic artist. And they
can go some awesome things; very probably someone talented enough could
pull it of... Just not me :)

Whereas the counterpoint is, if you're starting from scratch (ie: the
one eye-octopus), there's no preconceptoin. So you can do what you want.
And people will accept it as that.

> It'd be cool to (copyright issues aside) see the BSD daemon waving
> around his pitchfork like Darth Maul :)

lol, perhaps a painted face to match.

PS: The fox I was talking about can be found here:
http://www.early.com/~emackey/linux/