Re: Of time scaling and FPS

Katie Lauren Lucas wrote:

> Quoting "Miguel A. Osorio" <maos@gbl.com.br>:
> >       Anyway, on to the FPS problem. Using the method described above, I
> > use
> > delta to scale my time-dependent variables, in order to get some
> > smooth
> > animation. Thing is, I don't. The whole animation looks all jagged up,
> > without using time scaling it goes on fine; do note that, however, I
> > don't know why, the FPS mark keeps jumping about *all the time*, it
> > never settles on some average. Does anyone know a reason for this? Or
> > am
> > I doing the whole time scaling calculation the wrong way?
>
> Yes. Gettime(2) returns the current time in SECONDS. You'd be wanting to
> retrieve it by calling gettimeofday(2) which fills in a structure which
> contains seconds and microseconds since 00:00 Jan 1 1970.

	Err, just one small caveat here: the "gettime" thing was just sort of
an alias for an abstract "time fetching" routine. In my case, I'm using
SDL's SDL_GetTicks function, which returns milliseconds in a portable
way. BTW, are milliseconds precise enough?
	Oh, and since you guys didn't actually say anything about the process
of calculating the time delta, I suppose it's acceptable?

Many thanks,
Miguel A. Osorio.