Re: Interested in starting some basic development

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 12:26:50PM +0100, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> You can if you make wrappers.

Me?

> If I rewrote Crystal Space in Objective-C you (and others) may be more happy
> but then the people on the C++ side will start complaining that they can't easily
> use Crystal Space in their projects. In addition people using C will also have difficulty
> using the Objective C stuff (just as they have difficulty using the C++ stuff).

I'm not saying that you rewrite in Objective-C, I'm just saying that a library
should be usable from the currently most widely used PL. And that is C.

> So you suggest that the only solution is that libraries should not use C++ (and neither
> should they use Objective C if you follow the same reasoning). I find that simply not
> acceptable. I do NOT want to be restricted in choice of programming language just
> because of that.

I don't care in what language it is written. I care about it being usable from
the currently... (see above)

> > What's left? Can't you do it in C? I know a good GUI toolkit for X that does
> > it.
>
> Classes and inheritance. It is only syntax sugar but it is enough.

And that's enought to justify usage of C++? Ok, maybe it is, but the problem
remains.

--
Borko Jandras	<bjandras@public.srce.hr>