Texture mapping

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you know of some good (free) utilities for
mapping a bitmap image onto an object. I know of products such as Alias
Wavefront and SurfaceStudio from sven-tech, but are there no free
offerings? I've downloaded Blender for linux, but it's certainly not
very intuitive to use - in fact it drives me insane - but of course I
haven't attempted to read the manual yet. Is blender a useful tool for
applying textures to objects?

What I seek is an interactive utility that will help me determine
texture coordinates. Then I'd like that tool to be able to export the
results in .obj (Alias Wavefront format).

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Thomas

--
Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your
shoes.