Re: Full-Screen mode

 I was looking at the SDL source code and noticed that they set the
> 'override_redirect' flag in XCreateWindow.
>
> That's not something I do - but I can't find *any* documentation to
> say what exactly that flag does.
>
> Could this be the thing I'm missing?

Howdy Steve,

OVERRIDE_REDIRECT basically says (to the window manager and the X server) that the app is assuming full responsibility for managing this window.  In response the window manager isn't supposed to decore it (borders, buttons, etc.), and both aren't supposed to resize/reposition it and send spurious events (Configure/etc.) to its listening clients.  XConfigureWindow has a few related bits, but IIRC from years back there's a more in-depth discussion in the O'Reilly stack.

Randy