Re: linking surprise...

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:57:30AM -0700, Alan Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:42:40AM +0200, Christian Henz wrote:
> > So i added -lglut to my linker switches just to see how much that would
> > add to the size of the binary... surpsisingly the resulting filesize was
> > only a fraction of the original one! How can this be?
>

> If you're not statically linking glut, I'm not sure that you should
> expect much of a size increase. Just curious, are you actually using
> any glut functions (or including the glut header) in the code that
> you're linking against?

I'm not using/including any glut functions/header at all. I just added -lglut
to the linker switches in my Makefile. I first thought that the
linux/SDL binary was bigger than the mingw32/SDL binary because in linux
there would be all those references to the various sound apis for
example... so I added the -lglut switch just to see how much an
additional shared lib link would increase the binary size... and got this
surprising result.

And to Al: My object files aren't even rebuilt!

cheers,
Christian