Re: Anyone on this list?

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:51:19 +0100
Xarvh Admin <xarvh@lombardiacom.it> wrote:

> There is no community, i feel quite alone and i feel that what i'm
> doing interests none... anyone else feeling this?
> I'll continue developing Xarvh myself, but the overall situation seems
> quite sad...

This is going to sound a bit harsh, it isn't meant to be but I don't
have the time for long post to soften it up - if you're developing for
a community, for money, for fame or for some lofty ideal then you're
doing it for the wrong reason.

If a game isn't worth writing because you enjoy writing it and because
you thing you'll enjoy playing it then it isn't worth developing. You
won't make money of it (10%, if that, of commercial games make money).
You probably won't get much fame for it. You certainly won't change the
world with it (unless it is spectacularly novel - something on a par
with the first FPS ever written). If you have some friends who like
similar genres you may get some help and encouragement from them, but
don't bank on it.

Remember, games are supposed to be fun. Developing them should be too
(unless you're getting paid for it of course, then its an added
bonus if its fun....)

Chris