Game projects

I am involved in a game project (not necessarily Free...yet) with a few
of my friends. In all likelihood, it will not be completed; however, I
am of the mind that if I am going to work on this project, I will see to
it that I try my hardest.

Anyway, in terms of game projects where everyone involved is not
necessarily separated by great distances (you all live in the same
city), is it generally a good idea to have regular meetings face to face?
We have a forum setup for general gaming and discussion. We are
originally gamers and have setup a group for LAN parties and organizing
online games between ourselves.
Now we have a game project that we decided to take on. We set up
separate forums for  those of us involved in the game project.
I am just wondering what people have experienced as a better arrangement
for getting ideas and such across: meetings or online discussions?

In the book "Game Architecture and Design" it mentions that meetings
should be restricted to only very major decisions, and that some other
way of transmitting information, such as a web forum or some central
website, should be used for general discussion such as game design and
technical details.

I agree for the most part, especially since meetings are difficult to
organize. Not everyone sees everyone else on a daily basis, especially
since we are divided between three schools and work and such. For now we
are working in our spare time since this is a hobby project.
Everyone can go to a forum in their own time, whereas a meeting requires
you to have at least a half day set aside, and something might arise
that prohibits some members from going.

Any ideas/thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Gianfranco