Re: SDL vs GGI

Marcelo Elias Del Valle wrote:

> > Why are you avoiding X?
>         I avoid X too. X is simple, is easy to programming, but the X, only,
> occupies more than 20% of the my machine's recourses. SVGALib can't have
> hardware acceleration in future? I don't believe it's dead...

The X server on my machine currently uses between 0.1 and 0.3 percent of
the CPU and 15.5 percent (around 14 MB) of available memory (all
according to 'top'). The 15.5 percent is misleading by the way. It mmaps
a few things, like the framebuffer of my video card (8 MB) and it has
all of the pixmaps of the client applications (I feel those really are
belonging to the client applications, since they are the ones deciding
or not to be hogs).

Just leaving the framebuffer out makes for 6 MB usage. I bet that if I
stop Netscape, that would drop significantly. :-)

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/