Re: Question, Bug in a tutorial

"Philipp Gühring" wrote:

> Which graphic format is recommended to be used with GGI?

I don't know if GGI has any special needs - I doubt it.

> PCX is too small and has just the 8 Bit Color mode. I want Truecolor
> images. Any suggestions? Any sourcecode?

The image file formats I like best are '.RGB' (also known as "SGI
format")
and '.PNG'.

Both support alpha channels. Both can cope with either 8 bit or 24 bit
colour. Both have *lossless* compression.

RGB files are really easy to parse, PNG files are understood by web
browsers and support progressive loading.

GIF are a no-no for stoopid legal reasons - they also only support
8 bit colour and 1 bit alpha.

JPEG uses lossy compression - unacceptable for most applications.

TIFF is too damned complicated - it's gotten out of hand and too many
tage are not handled by too many reader/writers.

PCX deepy sucks because it's not really a standard - there are just
too many ad-hoc additions from too many places.

BMP is Microsoft and changes with every new revision of Windoze.

Everything else is too obscure - or has other problems.

So - RGB and PNG get my vote.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker