Re: My Game

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Steve Baker wrote:

<snip>

> Assuming you have an nVidia graphics card, that is. I'm stuck with an
> assorted range of Matrox cards, all the way from Millennium 1 to G450.
> Good 2D cards though. A few years ago I'd have loved to tweak and hack to
> get it to work, but nowadays I just don't have the energy anymore. If the
> developer him-/herself doesn't have time to tweak 3D to work, how will the
> intended audience?

at least matrox cards also give 3d acceleration on fbsd, it's a pain having
a nice gefarce2 card that is mostly just warming the room. :/

> >> <realitycheck>
> >> Nobody should be offended by basic nudity. All this weird
> >> political correctness is just some US bullsh*t (just as marvels such as
> >> the DMCA). Don't allow lobbying and religion in politics...
> >> </realitycheck>
> >
> >Offended - no - but a warning for those of us with young children is definitely
> >appreciated.  I'd still like to see a voluntary version of the ESRB ratings
> >that could be applied to OpenSource games.
>
> Well, the weird US ideas about nudity (and normal sex) being so morally
> bad is part of the many problems over there. There's nothing unnatural
> about it, and children need not be "protected" from normal nudity. Saves
> them from having to rape someone later too see what the opposite sex looks
> like under the clothes. Hardcore porn is another issue, but then, it does
> not portrait "normal" sex either.

eh, living in the us, I think most people in the us disagree. There is a small
minority that is EXTREMELY vocal, and do their best to abuse the law to shirk
their responsibilities as parents. They'd rather blame a media corporation than
admit that they're bad parents, so media corporations became extremely cautious
to avoid lawsuits. The extremely conservative views seen in religion, businees,
and politics probly play an important role in that, but I think it's a false
representation of the normal us citizen :) Just my take on what's going on

> Anyway, this issue is better discussed somewhere else, not here.

I d'no, this may be pertinant, what rights and responsibilities to developers
have in regards to so called "adult material"? In some places, it's illegal
for people under 18 to download media/software that depicts nudity, sexual
acts, 'offensive' language, overt violence, etc... this gets back to
voluntary ratings, I think :) Not being a parent, I strongly disagree with
how far companies go to protect themselves from legal issues like this. I
was incredibly pissed when I wanted to download the linux quake3 demo and
found out that since the game was rated m17, activision demanded a valid credit
card number to download the game. :/

<snip>

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.