Re: My adventure game engine

> > I'd love to hear your impressions of it -- what you like and don't like
> > about the GUI and overall idea and other things. There's still a lot of
> > fixing in the code to be done, but you should get a good idea of the
> > general look and feel of the interface.
>
> Looks very interesting. Problem is that mouse movement is too
> sensitive and the mouse pointer moves in non-continuous jumps,
> so I can't click the little buttons that close windows.

Thanks for your response (finally someone!)! That mouse problem is
something I've seen before, though never on my computer. I think it has
something to do with the svgalib config. Have you used svgalib before?

> It's a tad annoying having to set suid-root to run it.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think games using GGI can be
> executed on X11. But he refuses to use anything but svgalib
> even when X11 is running. What environment variable should
> I set?

Perhaps you read on the V8 homepage that I'm considering GGI. It has X
support and best of all, it seems like the code could be very easily
translated from svgalib to GGI. Overall, svgalib is not the best
choice for this type of game, but it's been a fun challenge to program all
these windowing functions from scratch. However, the best idea would
probably be to use GTK or something similar -- it's something I'm also
considering. Sorry, I don't know how to configure GGI yet.

> Have you ever consider using SDL for this job? It supports
> lots of environments and OSes, such as X11, fbcon, svgalib.

Haven't heard of it, but it sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

> See you.

See you too! Thanks for your comments!

Henrik