Re: artists

Jan Ekholm wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Frederic A. Martinelli wrote:

Jan Ekholm wrote:

Blender on the other hand... Well, you need to try to learn to use it for
a few months before you can even get a single box plotted out without
It took you several months ?!? Well maybe you shouldn't keep on trying
doing some 3D and do something else ? Just a thought.

I gave up after a week. It would've taken me several months with the
A week, yes ! I would have bet on this one. It is the main reason for my initial posts: there was a far too obvious lack of objectivity: too many big adjectives were used... :)

progress I was making. Maybe I should stay away from 3D stuff.
No, not necessary, maybe you're the kind of person that need someone next to him to help out during it's first steps. Maybe. Try out you have nothing to lose ! :)

Unfortunately I'm a big loser at getting stuff to work, but once you get
that single spinning cube done (well, I haven't managed much more since I
began trying to learn OpenGL about 7 years ago) the mental reward is huge.
:)

getting lost. It may be capable, but boy does the UI suck. The UI may be
The UI is very good as long as you know what you're doing / searching for.

Uh. It's like saying "latin is easy as long as you know latin". I know you
want to make me look like a total loser, and ok, it may be true, but
Blender's UI still sucks galaxies.
Hum, you're the second one to stumble across that sentence.
1) I didn't wanted to make you look like a total loser nor even like a simple loser. Just that you take it that way. Really.
2) It's true that once you know Latin then Latin is easy ! And i should add that you forget Latin at the same speed you forget the key-bindings of a software after you've switched to another software. :) I know: i'm talking from experience here, in both cases. :)

good once you know it, but boy does it suck for the occasional little
house or tank model. I remember not even finding out how to save my model
(there was of course no menus, no normal keybindings, nothing that was
sane with respect to modern usability), and ended up quitting using
The menu is the space bar, it's written in a lot of places but for that
you have to RTFM, there are keybindings: they just don't match 3DS ones,
and for modern usability: really you obviously don't know a single heck
about 3D rendering so how can you say that ? First learn _then_ give
your opinion.

Heh, did this get to you personally, didn't it? I assume you know what can
and can't?  That's good, because you'd need to do that before you carpet
bomb me with statements like that and make yourself sound like slightly
silly.
Damn, i really didn't mean it ! :(
Maybe i was too straight ? Anyway be assured that it wasn't the case _at_all_.

KILL... Once you find out how to save and load, you have to save you model
all the time so that you have something to revert to when the inevitable
"what does this app do now, how can I get it back to normal?" comes along
and foces you to KILL it.
Impressive you're not even used to test after the Q/X/Ctrl-Q/Ctrl-X
sequence of keys to quit a progs, you're using computers since how many
days ?

I probably pressed something else and got Blender into some other state
where it expected me to do something else and didn't really want to quit?
As it ran fullscreen without any obvious menu entry/key for toggling that
I just couldn't terminate it like other apps: chose "Quit" from the window
decorations.
Hum, well one should not forget the good old "bug", because Blender was known to have... Well quite some of'em ! ;) Hence the frequency of the releases.

So flame me.
Yep, done as you asked for it, because writting such post could only
mean that you asked for it right ?! :)
't'was pretty easy... indeed. :) So what did i win ? ... :)

I got out my frustrations and so did you. A good deal, right?

Fred.
P.S.: In the future try to keep that useless kind of post for the M$
groups, thanks.

Man, this did get to you really badly. But it's good that you know that
I'm just a mere MS fanboy. Maybe I had better go lurk in the directx.*
groups/mailing lists instead.
Well no, i was just telling you to be unobjective rather in M$ places, simply because that wouldn't help anyone there, the same way it doesn't really helped anyone here... Except for the light awakening of the list. :)
That wasn't also an attempt to tell you to stop Linux and go to M$.

Finally: if you can't discuss without getting personal and insulting
people you can just as well STFU. If you don't like non-pc stuff don't
read out that four letter acronym (FLA). :)

Well "Finally" it was just what i wrote: simple advices wrote down (straight maybe).

Fred.