Re: [linuxgames] Poll: Video Access

Francesco Orsenigo wrote:

So, i've a question about SDL.
My game writes all the graphic in a memory buffer, then blits this memory buffer to screen.
That used to be a very good technique - but with modern graphics cards, it's
pretty slow.  You want to think in terms of setting up your sprites, etc as
texture maps - then rendering textured polygons.  This is hundreds of times
faster than anything else you can think of.  OpenGL is the way of the future.

The memory buffer is larger than the screen, so that i can safely draw outside the screen without the need to check any pixel drawn.
You get hardware clipping for free with my approach.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
           http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net