Re: [linuxgames] Poll: Video Access

Jan Ekholm wrote:

Speaking of which, I have a small image viewer I made in SDL for use on
our set-top box connected to the TV. It uses raw SDL and SDL_image to load
and show images and works very well. Would it benefit from loading the
images into textures and using OpenGL for the display? Raw speed would
probably not be improved at all, but it could facilitate all kinds of nice
effects when switching between images: fades, rotates, zooms etc, stuff
that the normal "pixel based" images can't really achieve.
Overall, your AGP bus bandwidth is likely to be the limiting factor.
Switching to downloading and rendering a texture doesn't help that at
all - so I'd be suprised if you got much of a speedup.

However, as you say, you gain a spectacular ability to zoom, shrink,
rotate, mirror, fade, false-colour, do brightness and contrast changes,
switch to monochrome, add motion blur, wrap the image around a teapot...all
pretty much for free.

However, for a sprite-based 2D game, most of the sprites don't need to be
re-downloaded into the hardware every frame.  In that case, you can go
from sending many millions of bytes down the AGP bus to sending a few
thousand bytes of vertex data.  Then, add the fact that you get sprite
occlusion, rotation, scaling, antialiasing, and transparency all for
free - and this is definitely the way to go - unless you are writing
a game for people with graphics cards that date back to the upper
mesozoic era.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net