Re: [linuxgames] Poll: Video Access

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Francesco Orsenigo wrote:

>Steve Baker:
>>  That used to be a very good technique - but with modern graphics cards,
>> it's pretty slow.  You want to think in terms of setting up your sprites,
>> etc as texture maps - then rendering textured polygons.  This is hundreds
>> of times faster than anything else you can think of.  OpenGL is the way of
>> the future.
>
>That's surely what i'll do for the next project.
>I've also considered rewrite the whole thing in OpenGL...

Speaking of which, I have a small image viewer I made in SDL for use on
our set-top box connected to the TV. It uses raw SDL and SDL_image to load
and show images and works very well. Would it benefit from loading the
images into textures and using OpenGL for the display? Raw speed would
probably not be improved at all, but it could facilitate all kinds of nice
effects when switching between images: fades, rotates, zooms etc, stuff
that the normal "pixel based" images can't really achieve.

--
           "Right, you bastards, you're... you're geography"
                                         -- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!