Re: non-SMTP uses (was: Thoughts on MixMinion archives)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Zooko wrote:

> Len:
>
> > Regarding the license: again, it's not my business what license MixMinion
> > is released under. I am strongly against the GPL, and I think the AGPL is
> > even worse -- but that's why I'll be releasing Mixmaster 4.0 under a less
> > restrictive license. :)
>
> How do you feel about LGPL?

I think that if you ship with the code under a GPL license, you will be
hindering your adoption greatly, particularly as part of a OS-specific
client app (though I'm not sure being in Python isn't going to do that
already).

The LGPL is, in my mind, a much better alternative.

For instance: Both major Windows remailer clients use Mixmaster code. I'm
not sure that they would do so if it had been GPL'd.

(I'm tentatively planning on having Mixmaster 4.0 under the BSD license. I
think that a commercially available and supported remailer client would be
a very good thing, and I think that a BSD license would be the most
accepted for this purpose.)

Also, I have this fantasy of remailer clients being shipped by default
with all BSD OS variants, including your favorite computer with a fruit on
the front.

Though, the LGPL might be okay too. It comes down to perception at that
point. Richard Stallman's religious rhetoric has tainted the image of the
FSF's licenses.

> This reminds me that I have been starting to prefer MPL (with GPL-acceptance
> clause, or dual- or triple- licensed) over LGPL because some people find it
> more acceptable and because its scope is per-file rather than per-"Work".

I don't know enough about the MPL, but if the things you mention are true,
then it would indeed be preferable to the LGPL.

--Len.