Re: hashing emails is not secure (Re: avoiding anonymous emails)

You could use iterative hashing.  However i think it will be unlikely
to have both good security margin (80 bits to find is a user blocked)
and conveniently fast.

Say there are 2^30 email addresses (1 billion), and you run the hash 1
million times (2^20 bits) (second or two of iterative hashing) thats
2^50 to scan the lot.  Not too shabby.

However the cost to verify if an individual known email address is
blocked is still unacceptably low, the attacker isn't necessarily
interested to map all remailer users, just to confirm or deny some set
that are under scrutiny.

Adam