[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[ANN] Mixminion v0.0.6 final: Windows support, numerousimprovements
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
`I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the
hills my paths led. And through the air. I am he that walks
`So I can well believe,' said Smaug, 'but that is hardly your
`I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was
chosen for the lucky number.'
`Lovely titles!' sneered the dragon. `But lucky numbers don't
always come off.'
`I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws
them alive again out of the water. I came from the end of a bag,
but no bag went over me.'
`These don't sound so creditable,' scoffed Smaug.
`I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am
Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo
beginning to be pleased with his riddling.
`That's better!' said Smaug. `But don't let your imagination run
away with you!'
This of course is the way to talk to dragons, if you don't want
to reveal your proper name (which is wise), and don't want to
infuriate them by a flat refusal (which is also very wise). No
dragon can resist the fascination of riddling talk and of wasting
time trying to understand it.
-- J.R.R. Tolkien, _The Hobbit_
* * *
The final release of Mixminion version 0.0.6 is now available. Everybody
running a client or server should upgrade. If you do not, future servers
and clients will not work with your installation.
For Windows users with Python 2.3:
For Windows users without Python 2.3, or Windows users who want to
try a standalone version:
A NOTE TO WINDOWS USERS (From the README)
This is the first version of Mixminion to support native Win32
operations. As such, you should consider it even more experimental
than usual. If you find any bugs, or any places where its behavior
is stupid for a Windows environment, please let me know.
Also, if it _does_ work for you, please let me know. I've only
tried it on win2k, but it should work on win98 or later.
NEW IN VERSION 0.0.6: (From the README)
- Several documentation fixes.
- Starting a server for the first time will no longer give a spurious
message about an out-of-date installation.
- We now accept as uniform several more recent versions of zlib.
- 'mixminion server-start --quiet' is now even more quiet than before.
- Inital initial debian packaging files and targes (Peter Palfrader)
NEW IN VERSION 0.0.6rc2:
- Fixed a couple of bugs that would prevent Mixminion from running on
Python 2.0 or Python 2.1.
- Fixed a build problem with stand-alone Windows builds: the 'bsddb'
module was not included, so we were defaulting to the slow and
inefficient 'dumbdbm' module to store hash logs, SURB logs, and fragment
NEW IN VERSION 0.0.6rc1:
- Windows support
- The Mixminion command-line interface now works on MS Windows, at
least for me. It has been tested on Windows 2000, and should work
on any platform running Windows 98 or later. There are probably
some lingering bugs, especially when running a server.
- Improved security
- SURB keys are now rotated periodically.
- The client now _always_ shuffles packets before delivery, and sends
them in a random order.
- Improved robustness
- Servers are now addressed by hostname rather than IP. It is now
feasible to run a Mixminion server with a dynamic IP address.
Support for old-style routing will be deprecated in 0.0.7.
(Servers use a DNS-farm abstraction to avoid blocking on slow
DNS lookups. MMTP connections are still authenticated, so attacks
against DNS can at worst delay packets from arriving.)
- The path generation logic has been largely rewritten to use the
optimal routing method for each server-to-server pair.
- The path generation code now chooses good paths for fragmented
messages and messages with specific requirements on their exit
- Client queues are generally less buggy.
- Consistency enforcement between fragmentation and other modules.
- Better spec compliance.
- Improved performance
- When flushing messages from the client queue, it is no longer
necessary to load them all into RAM at once.
- User interface tweaks
- When running as a client, Mixminion now displays servers by nickname
in addition to IP:port whenever possible. Servers will gain this
behavior in a later version, once they begin downloading
- The behavior of 'mixminion list-servers' has been changed: its
default output is far terser and easier to parse than before, though
output _even more_ verbose than previous can be selected. Also,
whereas the old implementation only listed servers by their
lifetime, capabilities, and status, it is now possible to list
arbitrary 'features' of the servers in the directory.
- Error messages for timeouts are more reasonable; timeouts themselves
should now work a little better than before.
- A longstanding typo in the MMTP server's logging code has been
resolved: running at DEBUG should be far terser and more reasonable
- Users can now send fragmented messages for reassembly by their
recipients rather than exit servers. (Client side reassembly is
not yet implemented, however.)
- Many error messages have been cleaned up, including a few related to
SSL errors, Windows internals, corrupt databases, unsupported
- Build improvements
- Use the preferred version of Python if one exists.
- Add build target to output test vectors for crypto functionality.
- Support the DESTDIR environment variable
- Check SHA1 digest on downloaded OpenSSL 0.9.7c.
- Other bugfixes too numerous to mention.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----