Re: [minion-cvs] Improve documentation

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:42:37PM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> The reason I haven't done IPv6 support is that it complicates path
> selection a lot.  If anybody can come with a (demonstrably!) good path
> selection algorithm that works with a mixed IPv4/IPv6 network, I'd be a
> lot keener to do IPv6.

The issue is that IPv6 nodes, if they don't also support IPv4, introduce
(you guessed it) partitioning attacks.

While we wait for the magic bullet, how about the following compromise
approach:

Assume that if a node supports IPv6, then it also supports IPv4. So
we can use IPv6 between two IPv6 nodes, and otherwise use IPv4. Thus
there's no need to change the path selection algorithm, so no implications
for anonymity.

Am I missing the boat?
--Roger