Re: More thoughts on From: lines

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Len Sassaman wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Peter Palfrader wrote:
>
> > > No charsets different than US-ASCII?
> > >
> > > So it will not be possible to send MIME mail?
>
> It was late when I wrote that, and I neglected to touch on the MIME
> situation. Yes, different char-sets and MIME are to be supported; however,
> this requires that the Type III client refuse MIME headers from external
> programs,

It could also offer to unpack the Mime Parts and rebuild the encoded
message in the Canonical MIME way.  This would break signatures but
it's still better than outright refusing the message.

> > I almost forgot References: and In-Reply-To: headers.  What about them?
>
> Good call.
>
> Okay, it looks like we need a list of allowed headers, and whether they
> are user, client, or exit-node configurable.

> ... in the first category, and

> ... in the second.
>
> Do we canonicalize how References: and In-Reply-To: are done, and put them
> in the third category? Or do we just leave them up to the user, and have
> them in the first?

Better canonicalize them. It should be pretty easy too:

references      =       "References:" 1*(" " msg-id)

where msg-id is a normal message id as found in the article we reply to.
(<Pine.LNX.4.30.QNWS.0302260917230.4601-100000@thetis.deor.org> for
instance)

in-reply-to     =       "In-Reply-To: " msg-id

where msg-id is the last message id in the references line.

Both headers must exist at the same time or not at all.

In short: exactly one space as seperator, no folding.  The emerging node
may fold the header lines arbitrarily.

Peter
    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal