[tor-announce] [RELEASE] Tor 0.4.7.4-alpha

Greetings,

We've just released tor 0.4.7.4-alpha. ChangeLog is below.

https://forum.torproject.net/t/release-0-4-7-4-alpha/2300

Cheers!
David

Changes in version 0.4.7.4-alpha - 2022-02-25
  This version contains the negotiation congestion control work which is the
  final part needed before going stable. There are also various bugfixes
  including two major ones detailed below. Last, the Exit notice page layout
  has been modernized but the text is unchanged. We recommend that all relay
  operators running any previous alpha upgrade to this one.

  o Major features (relay, client, onion services):
    - Implement RTT-based congestion control for exits and onion
      services, from Proposal 324. Disabled by default. Enabled by the
      'cc_alg' consensus parameter. Closes ticket 40444.

  o Major bugfixes (client):
    - Stop caching TCP connect failures to relays/bridges when we
      initiated the connection as a client. Now we only cache connect
      failures as a relay or bridge when we initiated them because of an
      EXTEND request. Declining to re-attempt the client-based
      connections could cause problems when we lose connectivity and try
      to reconnect. Fixes bug 40499; bugfix on 0.3.3.4-alpha.

  o Major bugfixes (relay, overload):
    - Do not trigger a general overload on DNS timeout. Even after
      fixing 40527, some code remained that triggered the overload.
      Fixes bug 40564; bugfix on 0.4.7.1-alpha.

  o Minor feature (authority, relay):
    - Reject End-Of-Life relays running version 0.3.5.x. Closes
      ticket 40559.

  o Minor features (fallbackdir):
    - Regenerate fallback directories generated on February 25, 2022.

  o Minor features (geoip data):
    - Update the geoip files to match the IPFire Location Database, as
      retrieved on 2022/02/25.

  o Minor bugfix (logging):
    - Update a log notice dead URL to a working one. Fixes bug 40544;
      bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfix (relay):
    - Remove the HSDir and HSIntro onion service v2 protocol versions so
      relay stop advertising that they support them. Fixes bug 40509;
      bugfix on 0.3.5.17.

  o Minor bugfixes (cell scheduling):
    - Avoid writing empty payload with NSS write.
    - Don't attempt to write 0 bytes after a cell scheduling loop. No
      empty payload was put on the wire. Fixes bug 40548; bugfix
      on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
    - Resume being able to build on old / esoteric gcc versions. Fixes
      bug 40550; bugfix on 0.4.7.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (compiler warnings):
    - Fix couple compiler warnings on latest Ubuntu Jammy. Fixes bug
      40516; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.

  o Documentation:
    - Provide an improved version of the tor-exit-notice.html file for
      exit relays to use as a landing page. The text is unchanged, but
      the page design and layout are significantly modernized, and
      several links are fixed. Patch from "n_user"; closes ticket 40529.

--
mS/QhxKfrcPEBE2kKmo6rbgvCB0PCapOMqhxmGoxMc8=