Re: [tor-dev] GSoC : Rewrite Tor Weather

On Wednesday 23 April 2014 06:05 PM, Oliver Baumann wrote:
On Wed, April 23, 2014 1:19 pm, Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi wrote:
Hi all,

My name is Sreenatha(lucyd on OFTC). I am currently a final year
undergraduate student at IIITH, majoring in computer science. I'll be
rewriting weather this summer as a part of GSoC 2014. My mentors are
meejah
and karsten.

In a nutshell, the weather rewrite project mostly involves two tasks,
shifting the data backend to onionoo and closing the weather-specific
tickets that are causing an issue at the moment. Besides these, there is
also a plan to make use of a postgres database to store weather's
subscription data. After this is accomplished, I'll document and test the
new weather to make sure it's clean.

Further details of my project proposal can be found at [1].

I'm very excited about working with Tor on this project and am happy to
receive any sort of feedback and suggestions.

Cheers,
Sreenatha

[1] - https://sites.google.com/site/sreenathadev/gsoc-2014-weather-rewrite

Hey Sreenatha,

glad to hear you'll be investing some brainpower into weather!
Maybe you already heard that there already is a rewrite in progress, which
kicked off earlier this year. Main contributors to this are Abhiram and
myself, Karsten being our guy we call for help.

Sadly, progress has been slow the last couple of months, but we managed to
set up a vagrant box and several scripts querying Onionoo.
The latter have not yet been fully integrated, but I will point you to
Karsten's weather-next branch which (I guess?) can be used for further
contribution [1] (vagrant-work is in [2]).

There's also a GitHub repo [3] for the standalone-scripts, which should
really be regarded as a prototypical implementation of what could/should
be done.

Feel free to comment on anything, maybe we can assist you should you run
into problems!

Oh, and please also note the wiki-article [4] where this whole idea
originated. You'll also find some trac-tickets related to the rewrite
there.

All the best,
Oliver

[1]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/karsten/weather.git/shortlog/refs/heads/next
[2]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/karsten/weather.git/shortlog/refs/heads/vagrant
[3] https://github.com/baumanno/tor-weather-rewrite
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/weather-in-2014

Hi Sreenatha,

Glad to have you on board. It looks like Baumanno has covered pretty
all the things I can think of right now :)

Let me know If you have any questions.

Cheers!

Abhiram Chintangal