[tor-dev] Using consensus package versions for third party software

Proposal 227 added a method for putting non-little-t-tor package versions
and digests in the consensus, intended to authenticate Tor Browser updates.
This is done in tor 0.2.6, although itâs not yet in use by Tor Browser or
the consensus.

I propose using this feature to notify Ricochet[1] users of software
updates. My reasoning is:

- Itâs vital to the security of Ricochetâs users that theyâre quickly
notified of version updates
- Tor is the only infrastructure Ricochet uses; adding an âupdate serverâ
would harm its model
- The consensus-based method is better than anything we can independently do
- I think Ricochet is an ideal case of where this work can be useful

The benefits from my side are obvious, but itâs less clear if this is
appropriate for Tor. Ricochet users[2] are an extremely small portion of
Torâs users, but this would be in every consensus. Some directory
authorities would have to volunteer to keep those votes up to date.

Iâm interested in feedback from the community in general, and especially
from directory authorities on whether this is something theyâd be interested
in supporting. Of course, even if people think this is a good idea, the
burden is on me to convince DAs to lend their time.

Thanks,

- John

[1] https://ricochet.im/
[2] Itâs part of the design that I canât accurately count users. My best
guess is âlow hundreds, and growingâ.