Re: [tor-dev] (Draft) Proposal 224: Next-Generation Hidden Services in Tor

Interesting idea!

I was toying with another unrelated idea which seems worth asking about now :

Can we shorten the circuits used for hidden services any?   At present, both the introduction point (IP) connection and the rendezvous point (RP) connection have seven (interior) hops, right?

I donno if there is a reason to keep the IP circuit at 7 hops.  Could we drop it to 6 hops by making the IP be the hidden server’s third hop.  Is there a name for the third hop from one side in a hidden service connection?  quasi/interior-exit maybe?

We could presumably drop the RP connection, which is the actual circuit carrying traffic, from 7 hops to 6 hops by making the RP be the hidden service's client’s third hop (interior-exit), right?

Could we shorten the RP connection down to 5 hops?  Idea, the hidden service's client and the IP engage in shared random number generation using commit and reveal.  I’m not quite familiar enough with the IP connection, but maybe the hidden server itself could be involved too, even if not through commit and reveal.

In any case, we select the RP using this collaboratively generated random number.  Now this RP could be the third hop from both the hidden service server and client, because the hidden service’s client and the IP generated this number together, and the hidden service selected the RP.

I have not done any research to figure out if shortening hidden service connections to 5 or 6 hops either improves performance or costs much anonymity, but the collaborative random number generation trick for shortening the circuit seemed worth consider.

Jeff