Re: [tor-dev] Drafting a proposal for mnemonic onion URLs

A couple issues:

1. There's no such thing as "bits per word" without a dictionary, or
better yet, a frequency-sorted dictionary. :-P (See Alex's comments in
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103112149634414554669/posts/FMDg2Vht8sb
for a good idea on this.)

For reference, the OED is ~250k words (~18 bits at most, without
considering frequency).

2. People cannot remember a random ordered set of even four rare
words. Consider for instance that memory competitions involve doing
*exactly that* and that untrained people generally can't retain even a
small number. What people do in competitions, and what I've proposed
in the draft, is remember *scenes* â e.g. something you can state in a
sentence.

Also, you can't use words that people don't know. "Squibbish" might as
well be "kaftorn". Merely being a word is not sufficient; it has to be
something with semantic value. "English-sounding" is useless except
for the very low bar of "can be spoken over a telephone".

This of course constrains the dictionary considerably, such that
assembling even 12 bits (4k) is not completely trivial. But remember,
the point of my proposal is *not* "can you output some random crap
that's word-ish" Ã la the horrible RFC2289. It's "can you give people
something they'll actually remember".

3. People are not going to remember whether it was, say, 48 or 49 or
84. Numbers are effectively useless for recall. People don't even
think in decimal, they think in very rough logarithmic approximations.
:-P

4. How would you 'keep generating words'? My proposal was that every
hash have a single, canonical phrasal mapping. You would not be able
to change it unless you change your hidden service descriptor. (You
could do that if you're willing to "move" your site, or are making a
new one.)

If you don't have canonical mapping, siteops can't tell people what
their phrasal descriptor is, which means you lose a majority of its
utility for security.

For that matter, how would you ship it without a dictionary? Are you
expecting that most users will already have a common dictionary file?

5. Not having it be in English means you have to support
internationalized domain names (nearly all other languages have
non-ASCII characters). AIUI that's just not technologically up to
speed yet.

I should emphasize that this is *not* a technical problem, it's a
problem of cognitive linguistics. Writing the code is relatively
trivial; it's just a simple parser / generator layer.

- Sai