Re: [tor-dev] Proposal: Controller events to better understand connection/circuit usage

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM, meejah <meejah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't looked at everything in proposal 218, but I would suggest
> maybe splitting the CELL_STATS into CELL_STATS_LOCAL and
> CELL_STATS_NETWORK:
>
>      "650" SP "CELL_STATS_NETWORK" SP
>               CircID SP ConnID SP Added SP Removed SP Time CRLF
>
>      "650" SP "CELL_STATS_LOCAL" SP
>               CircID SP ConnID SP Added SP Removed SP Time CRLF
>
> ...if only to make the definitions easier to read without the N-
> versus P- prefixed variable names.

Or maybe add a "DIRECTION=" Direction field that can be "app" or
"exit".  (Controller event types are somewhat expensive, because
there's a bitfield in Tor's code soon running out of bits.)

The only information that we might miss when splitting events is which
(P/N)CircIDs and (P/N)ConnIDs belong to the same circuit.  I'll leave
it to Rob to say whether we need that information.  If not, splitting
is an option.

Thanks,
Karsten