Re: [tor-dev] Proposal xxx: Consensus Hash Chaining

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 05:51:53PM +0000, Andrea Shepard wrote:
> Here's a proposal Nick Mathewson and I just wrote for ticket #11157.

Thank you Andrea and Nick for working on this! I think it's very important, but
I'm not a fan of the design specified above.

I think it would be preferable to do something similar to what other
blockchains do: have a header structure in the consensus document which
contains the hash of the body and the hash of the header of the immediately
previous consensus. That way, clients could afford to download, store, and
verify all of the headers of the whole chain going back (at least) to the
release date of their tor binary. They wouldn't need to store multiple full
consensus documents (except in the case of a hash mismatch, in which case they
should of course keep everything they have and raise the alarm).

~leif